Welcome to Kingfishers Class!
The Kingfishers is a mixed-age class of Year 4 and Year 5 children. The class teachers are Ms Bradley (Tuesday - Friday) and Mrs Banfield (Monday and Music Teacher) and our learning support assistants are Mrs Brinklow and Mrs Templeman. Our classroom is right at the top of the Victorian building so we are lucky to have a large and spacious environment where we can learn, experiment, enquire, create and investigate. We are proud of our school and enjoy working hard. As some of the older children in the school we also love being role models for the younger children. This helps to create our supportive and caring school environment. We also love to learn through 'hands on' experiences. This means we get stuck in during our topic based curriculum, from Maths and English to Geography, Art and Science.
Read on to learn more about the topics we are studying, see examples of our work and how much fun we have with our learning.
There will also be ways you can support your child with their learning and a variety of websites to aid this.
School Year 2022 - 2023
School Year 2023 - 2024
Supporting Learning at Home
I understand that everyone has busy work days and often hectic afterschool engagements but any help, encouragement and support you can provide for your child will greatly benefit their learning. Keep it positive, ask about your child's learning that day and if they can show you what they have learnt. Children demonstrating this to you is a sure sign they have fully understood new concepts. Children love 'teaching'. But, it is also a chance to see if there is anything they are struggling with.
Memorising times tables makes it far quicker and easier for children to work out Maths problems, new concepts and basic calculating. Once learnt, it builds children's confidence and never leaves you. It is a transferable skill which will help with a variety of learning, including science, as well as being able to be used in everyday life.
Children in Year 4 will be sitting a National Times Table Test (MTC) which is statutory. The purpose of the MTC is to determine whether pupils can recall their times tables fluently, which is essential for future success in mathematics. It will help schools to identify pupils who have not yet mastered their times tables, so that additional support can be provided.
We will be administering the MTC to all eligible year 4 pupils between Monday 5 June and Friday 16 June 2023.
Here are a few websites where your child can practise ready for the test -
The Reading Tombola is so popular in Kingfishers. The children are all eager and determined to get their lottery tickets to be entered in to the weekly draw. Help your child to get as many raffle tickets as possible. They are required to read 5 times a week to get one lottery ticket. Think you can do better? Do seven reads and you get two! All you have to do is get an adult to hear or see you reading every day. Once you have done your read, ask them to sign your reading record. Five adult entries in the reading record = 1 special ticket. Then, if your lottery ticket is picked out of the spinning tombola you get to pick your very own new reading book. Not only that, but you get a golden crown to wear and your phot in the school newsletter. You can see why we are all so keen to win!
Our Reading Champions!
Every Friday the children will be given a new set of spellings. There are many different ways to learn your spellings which are available below. There spelling will be put on to Edshed. Every child has their own personal log-in to play games, learn their spellings and win coins to change their avatar.
The following websites also offer good quality learning opportunities:
- Hit the Button - quick fire questions on number bonds, times tables, doubling and halving, multiples, division facts and square numbers - https://www.topmarks.co.uk/maths-games/hit-the-button
- Timestables.co.uk - a range of times tables games - https://www.timestables.co.uk/100-seconds/
- Nrich is a fantastic maths website full of problems and interactive games - https://nrich.maths.org/frontpage
- Oxford Owl - access to free ebooks and audio books - https://www.oxfordowl.co.uk/
- Epic Books - books, learning videos and quizzes - https://www.getepic.com/
- BBC Bitesize KS2 - a range of learning activities - https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/levels/zbr9wmn
- BBC Super Movers KS2 - learning activities which encourage children to be active - https://www.bbc.co.uk/teach/supermovers/ks2-collection/zr4ky9q
- BBC Dance Mat Typing - teaches the children to touch type in a fun, engaging way - https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/topics/zf2f9j6/articles/z3c6tfr
- For a bit of fun exercise why don’t you try joining Joe Wick for his daily P.E session live on YouTube. Go to his website
https://www.thebodycoach.com/blog/pe-with-joe-1254.html or his YouTube page https://www.youtube.com/thebodycoachtv